Austin, TX DWI Defense Lawyers With Decades of Experience
If you’ve been charged with driving while intoxicated in Central Texas, our defense attorneys can help
Have you been charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving under the influence (DUI) in Austin, Waco, Temple, or another Central Texas community? Cities like these are often targets for DWI arrests due to their vibrant nightlife and entertainment. A drunk driving charge may seem like the end of the road, but our DWI defense lawyers know better.
With decades of legal experience in Austin and Central Texas, Botsford & Roark is well-equipped to guide individuals through Driving While Intoxicated charges. Our Austin, TX DWI defense attorneys have the knowledge, experience, resources, and local connections to protect your reputation and your future. Past cases we have handled include:
- D.J. Monroe's DWI charge dismissed – ESPN
- Former lawmaker sentenced to six days in jail for drunken driving – The Texas Tribune
If you have been charged with a DWI in the Austin area, contact us for a free and confidential case evaluation. We can answer your questions, discuss your potential legal options, and explain why Botsford & Roark is the right law firm to fight for your rights.
“We needed a lawyer for a possible DWI arrest and a friend recommended him. I was completely frantic, and he completely put me at ease with the calm and simple way he explained everything to me.” - Z, review for Brian Roark
Common types of DWI charges
District courts in Central Texas receive tens of thousands of new DWI cases every year. Travis County alone generates more than 25,000 first offense DWIs in an average year. Depending on the circumstances, a DWI can be a misdemeanor or a felony.
Our Austin-based DWI defense attorneys can masterfully advocate for your best interests at every turn. We are determined to protect your rights, freedom, and reputation. Common DWI charges in the greater Austin area include:
- First offense DWI
- Second offense DWI
- Third and subsequent offense DWI
- Felony DWI
- DWI manslaughter
- Intoxication assault
- DWI with a child passenger
- DUI, similar to DWI, this charge is applied to people under the legal drinking age (21)
No DWI case is too big or complex for our law firm. Botsford & Roark is known for our adept handling of high-profile cases and clients. Our case results and client testimonials demonstrate our sought-after skills and why our clients have the peace of mind to move forward with confidence. Case results include:
- State official arrested for drunk driving refuses blood and breath BAC tests serves 6 days in jail on a driving while intoxicated (DWI) conviction
- In Austin, DWI reduced to a charge of obstruction of a passageway for star student athletes
- DWI charge reduced to a speeding citation for a local judge
Bold DWI defense strategies
Facing a DWI charge may seem like an uphill battle - especially when it feels like there's substantial evidence working against you, maybe even a failed breathalyzer test. However, you should always fight Texas DWI charges. Even if it seems like the prosecutors have a solid case, it may be a lot of smoke and mirrors. You won’t know until you have one of our qualified Austin DWI defense lawyers investigate what happened. While the specific approach we employ may vary based on your circumstances, here is an overview of our approach to DWI defense:
- Reviewing the stop. We will examine the initial traffic stop to ensure it was legal. If the stop was conducted without probable cause or proper procedures, the evidence obtained after the stop should be suppressed.
- Evaluating field sobriety tests. Many drivers don’t know that while you are obliged to take a breathalyzer, you do not have to participate in field sobriety tests. They are voluntary. However, if you did participate in an FST, we will scrutinize the administration and reliability of the tests.
- Assessing breathalyzer or blood tests. We will assess whether the breathalyzer or blood BAC tests were conducted correctly and whether the results are reliable. Issues like calibration, maintenance, and the qualifications of the operator can be questioned.
- Questioning Miranda rights. If your Miranda rights were violated our DWI defense lawyers will demand justice by seeking to suppress any statements and challenge the legality of the arrest. Any misconduct or violations of your rights by law enforcement officers can be grounds for challenging the case.
- Establishing an alibi. In some cases, we may establish an alibi or provide evidence showing that you were not driving under the influence at the time of the arrest.
- Expert witnesses. We have developed an extensive network of expert witnesses and forensics professionals who can effectively challenge the prosecution's evidence.
- Negotiating a plea bargain. In some cases, negotiating a plea bargain that reduces the charges or penalties is the desired outcome. Our established professional relationships in courthouses across Central Texas allow us to negotiate effectively and efficiently in your favor.
- Trial preparation. If the case goes to trial, you can rely on us to be prepared. We will gather evidence and build a strong defense strategy, including cross-examination of witnesses and presenting counterarguments. For example, we may present evidence that the observed behaviors that led to a DWI arrest are medical conditions.
- Legal challenges. Our experience and skill allow us to use bold defense strategies. If it will help your case to challenge the constitutionality of DWI checkpoints or other aspects of the case based on relevant legal precedent, we’ll do it.
- Emphasizing reasonable doubt. At trial, we will work to create reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors.
- Sentencing mitigation. In cases where a conviction is likely, our firm may focus on sentencing mitigation, seeking to minimize penalties, consequences, and damage to your reputation.
Getting your driver’s license back after a DWI in Texas
One of the more immediate consequences of a DWI charge is having your driver’s license suspended. However, not many people know that, under the right circumstances, you can have driving privileges restored. To do so, however, you must qualify and act very fast after an arrest to meet the application deadline.
The Austin DWI defense lawyers at Botsford & Roark have decades of experience. We can tell you if you are qualified for a license reinstatement hearing, also known as an Administrative License Revocation (ALR or DMV hearing). Then we can use our knowledge of the local justice administration to argue favorably for your driver's licenses back.
Contact an Austin, TX DWI attorney lawyer today
Texas has harsh penalties for DWI convictions. Depending on the severity of the charge and your history, DWI penalties may include thousands of dollars in fines, license suspension, mandatory education programs, probation, community service, incarceration for up to 180 days (for a first offense), longer incarceration for subsequent convictions, mandatory installation of an Ignition Interlock Device (IID), and long-term consequences such as difficulties in obtaining loans, increased insurance rates, challenges finding employment.
“Arguably the best attorney in Austin. If he agrees to take your case, retain him.” - MCE, client review for Brian Roark
At Botsford & Roark, we understand that sometimes, good people find themselves in unfavorable situations. For anyone facing the consequences of a DWI or DUI charge, our dedicated team is here to assist, offering DWI defense services that prioritize your freedom, rights, and reputation. If you have been charged with a DWI in Austin, Travis County, or elsewhere in Central Texas, contact us for a free case evaluation to learn more about your legal options and defense strategies.